Is Discipline the same as spanking?
Radio Series Update: Is Discipline the same as spanking? Another great show, thanks to my wonderful host, Michelle Wargo on www.heartbeatradiousa.com. What do you think of when you hear the word ‘discipline’? If you are like most parents, the word conjures up ideas of correction and punishment. However, that is only one part of the equation! Actually, the purpose of discipline is to teach. What are you teaching? All the character traits that you want your kids to develop in order to become happy, successful adults.
Top 5 tips of the week:
- Be a teacher, not a preacher.
- Keep in mind that your ultimate goal of discipline is to develop character.
- Set realistic expectations for each of your kids.
- Be the example. Walk the walk; don’t just talk the talk.
- Show your kids you love them—through your words and your actions.
Next week: Stop shooting yourself in the foot: What parents are doing to undermine their own authority!